Skip to content
Selected talks and keynotes
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s Digital Pedagogy Webinar Series. Activism Outside and Inside the Institution: Strategies and Tactics for Increasing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. February 23, 2021. Slides.
- Public Knowledge Project. Keynote. November 20, 2019. Barcelona.
- Microsoft Japan. Trans inclusion at Mozilla. November 5, 2019. Tokyo, Japan.
- Social Innovation Lab. Trans inclusion in the workplace. October 27, 2019. Taipei. Taiwan.
- code4lib 2019. Keynote. February 20, 2019. San Jose, CA. Post with presentation slides, notes and video.
- National Digital Forum. Wellington, Aotearoa/New Zealand. November 19-21, 2018. Keynote. blah, blah, blah: diversity and inclusion. Presentation slides and notes. Video.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Careers Panel. January 23, 2021. Online.
- Leading Libraries toward Anti-racism in a Changing World. Association of Research Libraries, Fall Forum. October 8, 2020. Online.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: the more you know. LeanIn Canada. August 20, 2020. Online.
- Pride at Work. Facilitated Virtual Discussion: Building Organizational Buy-In for LGBTQ2+ Inclusion. May 6, 2020. online
- PDX Women in Technology Summer Soiree. Social Justice in Open Source. Panel (invited). PDX WIT. July 10, 2019. Portland, OR.
- Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians. Opening keynote. Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences 2019. June 2, 2019. Vancouver, BC.
- Beyond Diversity: Creating Inclusive Tech Workplaces. Panel (invited). TechInColour. April 25, 2019. Vancouver, BC.
- The World-Changing Women’s Summit. Building Incredible Workplaces panel. January 29, 2019. Scotts Valley, CA.
- OpenCon Cascadia. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion panel. February 1, 2019. Portland, OR.
- Refiguring Innovation in Games (ReFiG). University of British Columbia, Vancouver. October 26, 2018. Opening keynote.
- Excellence and Gender Equity in Science and Technology Conference. Industry stakeholder panel. September 20, 2018. University of Waterloo.
- OpenCon 2017. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Open Research and Education. Panel (invited). Berlin, Germany and online. November 11-13, 2017.
- Open Education 2017. How can we destroy the open education movement? Conversations about ethics. Co-facilitating with a group of disrupters (Karen Cangialosi, Jenny Darrow, Robin DeRosa, Arthur Gill Green, Christina Hendricks, Rajiv, Jhangiani, Jamison Miller, Rosario Passos, and Scott Robinson). Anaheim, CA and online. October 13, 2017.
- LITA Forum. Fort Worth, TX. November 17-20, 2016. Closing keynote. Slides and notes.
- code4lib NYS. Ithaca, NY. August 4-5, 2016. Invited speaker. Not all information wants to be free: ethical considerations for digitization. Slides.
- 15th Annual Symposium on Teaching and Learning: Universal Design for All Learners at Simon Fraser University. Burnaby, BC. May 18-19. Copresenting with Amanda Coolidge and Sue Doner.
- Disability Resource Network. Vancouver, BC. May 17, 2016. Relieving common barriers to to learning through Universal Design for Learning. Copresenting with Amanda Coolidge, Sue Doner and Jen Levesque.
- Open Textbook Summit. Vancouver, BC. May 2015. Accessibility and open textbooks. Copresented with Amanda Coolidge.
- International Technology and Persons with Disabilities conference. San Diego, 2015. Opening the doors to education: ensuring accessibility in open textbooks. Copresented with Susan Doner.