Upcoming in 2019
code4lib 2019. Keynote. February 20, 2019. San Jose, CA.
Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians. Opening keynote. Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences 2019. June 2, 2019. Vancouver, BC.
Selected talks and keynotes
- National Digital Forum. Wellington, Aotearoa/New Zealand. November 19-21, 2018. Keynote. blah, blah, blah: diversity and inclusion. Presentation slides and notes.
- Refiguring Innovation in Games (ReFiG). University of British Columbia, Vancouver. October 26, 2018. Opening keynote.
- OpenCon 2017. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Open Research and Education. Panel (invited). Berlin, Germany and online. November 11-13, 2017.
- LITA Forum. Fort Worth, TX. November 17-20, 2016. Closing keynote. Slides and notes.
- code4lib NYS. Ithaca, NY. August 4-5, 2016. Invited speaker. Not all information wants to be free: ethical considerations for digitization. Slides.
- The World-Changing Women’s Summit. Building Incredible Workplaces panel. January 29, 2019. Scotts Valley, CA.
- OpenCon Cascadia. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion panel. February 1, 2019. Portland, OR.
- Excellence and Gender Equity in Science and Technology Conference. Industry stakeholder panel. September 20, 2018. University of Waterloo.
- Open Education 2017. How can we destroy the open education movement? Conversations about ethics. Co-facilitating with a group of disrupters (Karen Cangialosi, Jenny Darrow, Robin DeRosa, Arthur Gill Green, Christina Hendricks, Rajiv, Jhangiani, Jamison Miller, Rosario Passos, and Scott Robinson). Anaheim, CA and online. October 13, 2017.
- British Columbia Library Association. Vancouver, BC. April 2017. Never Neutral: Ethics and Digital Collections. Panel presentation with Jarrett M. Drake and Michael Wynne (invited). Slides, Storified tweets.
- The Failure of Access: Rethinking Open Education. Vancouver, BC. March 28, 2017 (invited). Slides.
- Montana Accessibility Interest Group. December 2, 2016. Can I actually use it?” Testing open textbooks for accessibility. Webinar copresented with Amanda Coolidge and Sue Doner (invited).
- Syracuse University’s Library and Information Science Student Assembly. December 1, 2016. Not all information wants to be free: ethical considerations for digitization. Webinar.
- Festival of Learning. Burnaby, BC. June 6-9, 2016. An Introduction to Universal Design for Learning and Accessibility Practices. Copresenting with Amanda Coolidge and Sue Doner.
- 15th Annual Symposium on Teaching and Learning: Universal Design for All Learners at Simon Fraser University. Burnaby, BC. May 18-19. Copresenting with Amanda Coolidge and Sue Doner.
- Disability Resource Network. Vancouver, BC. May 17, 2016. Relieving common barriers to to learning through Universal Design for Learning. Copresenting with Amanda Coolidge, Sue Doner and Jen Levesque.
- Open Education. Vancouver, BC. November 2015. Accessibility and the BC Open Textbook project. Copresented “Can I actually use it?” Testing open textbooks for accessibility. with Amanda Coolidge, Sue Doner, CAST and OCAD’s Inclusive Design Research Centre. Slides
- The Partnership’s Education Institution webinar. November 2015. Small Changes, Big Impact: New and affordable solutions for document delivery. Copresented with Alison Curtis and Hillary Webb.
- Access Library Technology Conference. Toronto, ON. September 2015. “Can I actually use it?” Testing open textbooks for accessibility. Copresented with Kendra Levine. Video
- Canadian Association of College and University Student Services annual conference. Vancouver, BC. May 2015. CAER: a national cooperative of alternate format producers. Copresented with Heidi Nygard.
- Open Textbook Summit. Vancouver, BC. May 2015. Accessibility and open textbooks. Copresented with Amanda Coolidge.
- British Columbia Library Association Conference. Richmond, BC. May 2015. “Can I actually use it?” Testing open textbooks for accessibility. Copresented with Amanda Coolidge.
- British Columbia Library Association Conference. Richmond, BC. May 2015. Small Changes, Big Impact: New and affordable solutions for document delivery. Copresented with Alison Curtis and Hillary Webb.
- BC Educational Technology Users Group webinar. 2015. “Can I actually use it?” Testing open textbooks for accessibility. Copresented with Amanda Coolidge.
- Open Education Week webinar. 2015. “Can I actually use it?” Testing open textbooks for accessibility. Copresented with Amanda Coolidge and Sue Doner.
- International Technology and Persons with Disabilities conference. San Diego, 2015. Opening the doors to education: ensuring accessibility in open textbooks. Copresented with Susan Doner.
- iSchool at University of British Columbia. Vancouver, BC. 2015. Freedom to Read Week panel.
- British Columbia Library Association. Richmond, BC, 2013. Content licensing: negotiating the shadows of e-book licensing. Invited hot topic panel member.
- Big Ideas for Libraries in Communities. Vancouver, BC, 2012. Creating connections through digitization. Tied for most popular audience award and was shortlisted for funding.
- Ten for Ten, Design in the Field. Vancouver, 2011 – Power and control issues: how library catalogues have changed in the last 10 years
- Sirsi Dynix user group meeting 2010 – QR codes in libraries
- Access. Winnipeg, 2010– QR codes: linking physical and digital collections (lightning talk)
- InfoCamp Seattle 2010 – QR codes
- NetVibes Vancouver 2010 – How to create a media monitoring dashboard
- BCLA 2007—organized and co-presented How to Free Your Library’s Computers: a demonstration and discussion for the open source curious.
- BCLA 2005, 2006—presented independent and alternative materials on the Intellectual Freedom Committee sponsored Ain’t on the Globe and Mail Bestsellers List panel.